Hi everyone. Long time, no updates!
Half-Life Zone has just gone through a complete back-to-front overhaul. This means it behaves about the same, but the code that powers it has been re-written to make it easier to add new features and maintain current ones.
I've also taken the opportunity to refresh the site's styling. The changes are fairly subtle at first but the main goal was to re-do it in a more maintainable fashion. One of the nicest new features is that the site is now responsive, meaning it adapts its layout depending on the size of your device. Resize your browser window to see it in action.
Here's a quick run-down of the major improvements:
- Indexes and article pages have been re-done and look better than ever.
- The gallery component of articles has been totally re-made bespoke to HLZ.
- The site has been widened slightly and more room given to the content column.
- I've implemented more friendly URLs for the site (e.g. halflifezone.com/reviews/poke646 instead of URLs with ?s and &s everywhere)
Also, a quick round-up of some reason fixes and improvements:
- A couple of the reviews were pointing to the wrong data (open Paranoia and Point of View and you'd end up reading a review of Scientist Slaughterhouse). This has now been fixed
- Fast download on our DMC server wasn't working, causing glacial download speeds for maps and other assets. This is now working.
- A new live server stats component for DMC
Because of the far-reaching nature of the changes, things that were working may now be broken. If something's not right, please drop us a line on the forums with a description of the problem and your browser/OS details. If you can't even access the forums then, uh, go play Half-Life for a while.
Incoming are some new mod reviews from myself and DoomMarine23.